T he California and Nevada Chapter of MS Society recently engaged Jimmy Dunne for their yearly fundraising dinner.
Jimmy Dunne’s marching orders were very clear: they had 8 weeks before the event, and needed to raise more money than in the previous year where they grossed `$240,000.
The honorees; Lew, Lisa and Christina Horne. The venue: California Science Center.
Here was Jimmy Dunne’s plan:
+ Clarify the intentions.
+ Create a compelling narrative.
+ Create ‘touchpoints’ to emotionally engage donors.
It was a home run, emotionally-charged event that raised $1,350,000 — and was fantastic for MS Society and all individuals involved, and created brand equity and a formula for success in future years.
And many of the 850 guests (tripling expectations!) said it was the most moving and inspiring charity events they ever attended.
We created 30+ touchpoints; emotional experiences that potential donors and guests would feel before, during and after the event.
Every one of the touchpoints rigorously aligned to the intentions and narrative of the event.
Jimmy Dunne wrote all speeches, created/directed/produced many videos, produced/directed the event, wrote, arranged and recorded an original song, and produced 25+ touchpoints to emotionally engage donors.
Here are a few of the emotional touchpoints: from important ones to the ‘devil in the details’ touchpoints:
- FUNDRAISING VIDEO
- PARTNERING WITH SPEAKERS ON ALL ASPECTS OF SPEECHES
- WRITING “IF I DARE TO DREAM” ORIGINAL SONG FOR MS EVENT
- CREATING SIGNAGE THAT SPOKE TO THE HEART/ATTITUDE OF THE EVENT
- VIDEO WITH ALL PHOTOS OF THE EVENT
- COFFEE & TEA STATIONS AT VALET
- CREATING “HALL OF CHAMPIONS” POSTERS ON ALL DONORS
- TRIBUTE VIDEO SHOWN AT EVENT
- “PARTY FAVORS” AT THE TABLE
- STROLLING “MINSTRELS” AT THE EVENT
- WRITING STORY IN “HUFFINGTON POST”
- 2-PAGE AD IN “LA BUSINESS JOURNAL
- PUSHING STORIES THROUGH NEW MEDIA
- SECURING 25-MINUTE SEGMENT ON “TIM CONWAY SHOW” FOR LEW AND CHRISTINA HORNE
- VISUALS ON 16 TV MONITORS THROUGHOUT COCKTAIL EVENT AND DINNER
- STORY TELLING ON COCKTAIL NAPKINS
- STORY BOARDS FOR ALL AUCTION ITEMS
- CREATING A POST-EVENT HIGHLIGHT VIDEO FOR ALL NEW MEDIA
To get the ball rolling, we created the first ‘touchpoint’: a ‘fundraising video’ emailed to thousands of potential donors and attendees. Its intention was simple; to emotionally express the narrative.
This 1:19 video, filmed in almost one shot, was an example of efficiently emotionally engaging the right audience — to create the intended response of donating and attending the event.
Please click here for a number of the videos, speeches, and other touchpoints created: